Saturday, July 11, 2009

Eww! I can hardly stand it.

That's all I can say. It was the day after we got home from Patrick & Tamara's house a couple of weeks ago, and still hadn't had time to grocery shop, so I was rummaging around trying to find something palatable that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and eat. (Or, even better, food that will go on the bbq so that I don't have to really cook at all!) Peter found a steak in the bottom of the freezer (perfect!) and I was checking out the bag of new potatoes I had just purchased the week before. I have a small bin in the cupboard so I reached down into the bag and pulled out a couple of small potatoes...good, they were still firm with minimal eyes on them. I went for a couple more and ewww! I stuck my fingers right into the mushy rotten part of a potato.

Quickly I washed my hands with soap and water while Peter pulled the bag up onto the counter (which I should have done myself and probably will again the next few times I go to find potatoes, til this yucky story fades into a distant memory somewhere.)

I said "don't even show me! If there are any maggots in there I will hurl everywhere!" but he said it was fine, just a little mush. But it was weird, some of the potatoes looked slanted on the ends, like they'd been cut off a bit or something, but not very smoothly. I didn't think much about it because I already had the potatoes I was going to use, and we just chucked the bag.


Later, AFTER I'd cooked the potatoes and fried them with some yummy Mrs. Dash and garlic, Peter was cleaning out the potato bin and showed me the mouse poo that was in there! A mouse had been crawling all over our potatoes and chewing on them! Eww eww and eww! That is so disgusting!

But our meal was so delightful. Wish I'd taken a little pic, because we had a really nice steak with yummy seasoned potatoes, and stir fried green and red peppers & onions with a bit of garlic and greek seasoning on them. Yum! Not bad for day before payday grocery blues.

Later on Peter told me he had found a dead mouse at the end of the hallway, so I guess China really was doing her job:) Ok, we'll keep her for another couple of weeks til the mouse scare is off and I'm sick of furballs. I know she can be grumpy with other people, but she loves me and you have to admit, she IS pretty:)

3 comments:

vivian said...

I really do not like mice at all. I do love cats. They eat mice - good job !!!!!

mari said...

OK I thought you were gonna write that there was a dead mouse in your potato bag and you put your hand in it!!!! blech!

Mouse poo is much easier to handle than dead mouse - I too suppose China can stay...

mari said...

hmmm... I should have wrote that mouse poo is much easier to handle than an actual mouse.. but dead mice are better than alive mice too - either way, good job China! Keep up the good work!